Friday, August 1, 2008

Why I wedding blog

There are probably as many reasons to blog, in general, as there are individual bloggers. Some people just want their own little corner of the internet, others have ideas on a much grander scale for setting up the Next Big Thing in blogging.

But what about wedding bloggers? Back in May, the New York Times implied that cultivating online friendships around your mutual weddings was, at the very least, a novelty. But it also brings up excellent points about why someone might spend a lot of time at the Knot message boards: filling in the gaps in excitement. The rest of the world really doesn't care about our centerpieces, however other brides in the exact same situation can get themselves quite worked up on your behalf.

And that is precisely why I'm blogging specifically about my wedding. I haven't found a message board where I really fit in yet (all of the pertinent Knot boards seem a little too fixated on various traditions for my taste). Having my own blog lets me set the tone and guide the conversation.

It also lets me wax poetic about any given wedding-related subject without worrying about boring my audience to tears. Most likely if you're reading this, you have at least a passing interest in the planning process of someone else's wedding, but if part of my planning process doesn't interest you, you can always skip that post and come back later to see if I've gotten interesting yet. My bridesmaids, the people most brides turn to first to share their wedding excitement, are absolutely lovely women (obviously), but it doesn't seem like they have a whole lot of excitement for the accomplishments of finally getting all of the necessary addresses, or discovering that silk purple peonies came in at Michael's.

I was finally prompted to spin this blog off from my personal blog after going out to the bar and meeting another soon-to-be married friend there, where we would do nothing but talk about our various wedding planning experiences for an hour or two at a time. She was constantly worrying that she was boring me, and I her, I think in part because we aren't the type of women who normally get caught up in the excitement of something that, at the end of the day, is rather superficial. I mean, the last deep conversation we had was tag-teaming on extolling the virtues of feminism to a mutual acquaintance!

But I also realized that, as unexpected as they were, these conversations have been the highlights of my day. Because for an hour at a time, I got to let my hair down and actually have a conversation with someone about how awesome my photographer was, or figuring out whether or not I should wear a veil. And as girly as it was, it was fun.

And since I can't have those conversations every single day (especially since Billy and I are moving soon!), I've now turned to having my own, personal wedding blog.

Why do you blog?

No comments: