Saturday, August 16, 2008

Quiet Weekend

Billy and I are sorting through our apartment and packing things up this weekend. We've been college students for years and have always moved either from one rinky dinky dorm to another, or from our individual rinky dinky dorms into a full size apartment, so we never had to worry too much about sorting/packing before. Both of us always just shoved our crap into boxes, dumped it all into the new place, and sorted everything out once we were settled in.

Now we're going from a full size, one bedroom apartment into a tiny studio only marginally larger than some of the dorm rooms I've had. That means downsizing A LOT. We have to figure out what's coming with us, what's going in the trash, what's going to the Salvation Army, and what's going to be stored at our parents' houses until we're in a place with enough space for all of our stuff.

I imagine it's a little bit like what newlyweds go through when they're combining two households for the first time, except with fewer fights over hideous arm chairs (full disclosure: I'm the one who brought the ratty recliner into this relationship, but even I agree it has to go. It's older than I am and we're not renting a moving van so we have no way of transporting the thing from here to New York!).

Anyway, what all this means is posting is going to be light for the next week or so. I move back to my parents' house for a week starting Tuesday, which means computer access is going to be limited (I have no place to set up my desktop at my parents' house, and when I'm there I have to share the family computer with three other computer junkies). I'm going to be meeting with our officiant while I'm there, so I'll try to squeeze in a post about that, but otherwise it'll probably be radio silence until I'm in New York!

No comments: