Friday, July 25, 2008

Wedding Planning Binder and the color choice debut!

Well, "debut" might be misleading. An eagle-eyed reader might actually have already caught my final color choice. After all, there are really only two colors on my Save the Date cards.

Purple & Gray color palette.

Complete with my old-school inspiration board...


Which is wear my wedding planning binder comes into play.

Earlier this summer it was oppressively hot. And my computer sits in a poorly ventilated corner of our apartment (seriously. I'll be sitting in my corner, sweating and complaining, while Billy is in the opposite corner on his computer cool as a cucumber. It's really not fair). So while I really, really wanted to put together some inspiration boards for all the various aspects of our wedding...it wasn't happening at the computer. So instead I printed out allllllllllllll of the various photos I've collected and sat down to make a series of inspiration boards to act as "covers" for all the different sections of my wedding planning binder.

A note on planning binders: at this point, I consider my binder to be an absolute necessity! While there are roughly 5,000 pre-made wedding binders out there, I highly recommend just making your own for a fraction of the cost of those other binders. All of the helpful hints and tricks and checklists in those pre-made binders can be found for free online, and setting up your own can be another fun mini-project to do while waiting to dig into the big ones!

Materials:
Three ring binder. This can be as fancy or cheap as you want. I bought a two inch purple binder with the plastic cover that let's you slip in your own paper, for ultimate customization.
Tabbed dividers. Mine even have pockets where I can keep copies of vendor contracts or various notes and have them organized by what part of the wedding they apply to!
Plastic envelope. This is where you keep track of receipts (just in case).

I also bought plastic page protectors so I could have my personalized inspiration board for each section.

My binder currently has five sections, and an inspiration board for each. There's a "general" section, which is headed by the above general inspiration board and keeps track of random wedding notes and the receipts, then attire with an inspiration board dedicated entirely to my dress (more about that soon!), flowers, photography (the inspiration board is for collecting various pictures that I want to recreate on the wedding day) and the reception (where I'm keeping the DJ contract, and the inspiration board is cake pictures and other random pictures that I didn't know what else to do with!).

Since so much of my wedding is being designed by scratch and by people (my mom and I) who aren't wedding professionals, my binder has been a lifesaver when trying to communicate what it is that I want with decorations/flowers/the dress etc. It's keeping everything in one, easy to locate place and is ultra portable. I bring it with me whenever I go hang out with girly-friends who like to talk weddings so I can show them bits and pieces and every single time I go home so I can make sure Mom is staying on track with the designs.

How are you organizing everything?

No comments: