Thursday, July 17, 2008

Obligatory Introduction Post!

Welcome to my latest blog on the world wide web! (Do we still use that term anymore? Or am I dating myself?)

This blog is dedicated to keeping track of all of my wedding planning thoughts and do-ings. I've been posting about them on my personal blog, but I have a lot of people on my friend's list there that aren't necessarily interested in the finer details of wedding planning. And I also post a lot of non-wedding related things there that would hold no interest for the wedding-blog related world, so I figured it was time to start yet another blog (this is my...seventh blog since I started blogging 9 or 10 years ago. I've been doing this since before it was cool!)

About me: I'm 23 years old, originally from a small, conservative city in Michigan but currently living in a college town on the other side of the state. For a few more weeks, anyway. Then I'm moving out to the Big Apple, where my fiance and I hope to start our grown up careers! He wants to work in theatre or television, while I'm currently trying to break into publishing while debating whether I should go back to school to get a master's degree in...something.

About us: The "us," of course, being my fiance and I. Billy and I met the very first weekend of our freshmen year at college. We were auditioning for the school's fall shows. I was sitting in a corner with a few other freshmen girls as we tried to figure out the audition form. Billy's best friend, Chris, apparently knew some of those girls, and he dragged Billy along to talk to us.

While it was Chris who knew the other girls, he, Billy and I ended up doing most of the talking. The three of us bonded over having done some of the same (crappy) shows in high school and eventually decided that the three of us should go get dinner at the school's food court, since none of us were due to be called in for our audition for awhile.

So we talked, we laughed, we ate bad pizza. When we went back to the theatre, they were making the final call for me to get my butt in there and audition. I freaked out and ran in, and didn't see Billy and Chris for the rest of the night.

There's nothing truly romantic about this meeting. Some women meet their future husband's for the first time and declare that evening that they will marry that man some day. Me? When I went home to do my obligatory blog post, I could hardly even remember Billy's name. (I totally got it right in the blog entry, but I was very hesitant about it and wasn't sure if I got it right. Billy has never let me forget this!)

Billy and I were both cast in the same show, but Chris had obligations to other extra-curricular activities so he didn't make the cut.

Billy and I were essentially the only two people in the show that didn't already have a built in group of friends. Everyone else was either an upper class men, a clearly tight-knit group, or they were a freshmen from the Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor area and had known each other since diapers. I was the only person from my side of the state at the school, and Billy really only had Chris as a friend there. So Billy and I hit it off immediately - strictly as friends! He'd been dating someone since freshmen year of high school, and I was looking for a girlfriend at the time. But Billy was fun and charming and played role playing games like Dungeons and Dragons and Vampire: the Masquerade.

A man after my own heart. Together with Chris and a few of our other new friends we set up a group that played various role playing games loooooooooooong into the night on Thursdays after play rehearsals, often not finishing the games until after dawn on Friday morning (all of us had lucked out on not having any Friday classes).

But for the longest time, that's where it stayed: just friends. He was in his long-distance relationship with his (rather jealous) girlfriend and was active in forensics with Chris and our other friends. I had plays and school. We had fun together, but really, dating was pretty far from my mind.

Until...

Next up: how Billy and I drove all of our friends CRAZY by not acknowledging how crazy we were for each other!

No comments: